March 20, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
OTTAWA, ON – The Hon. Michelle Rempel, Shadow Minister for Industry and Economic Development, Matt Jeneroux, Shadow Minister for Health, and Kelly Block, Shadow Minister for Public Services and Procurement Canada, issued the following statement on the federal government’s announcement to mobilize Canadian businesses and manufacturers in the fight against COVID-19:
“Conservatives support measures to help increase access to critical resources and supplies for Canadians and especially for our health care professionals during this difficult time.
“Hospitals and provincial governments have been signalling supply shortages for several weeks and the federal government’s announcement today is a step in the right direction.
“Many Canadian businesses across the country are ready and willing to help. The government should clearly outline what the process will be and address important questions such as:
- What is the government’s timeline to expedite current procurement policies to ensure critical equipment and supplies are available for our frontline healthcare workers?
- Will the government be identifying current shortages and anticipating future gaps so that businesses can prioritize what to scale up for production?
- Is the government planning to import supplies to mitigate potential future gaps while the procurement and production timelines are being addressed?
- Will the government provide Canadians with regular reports of the production targets and outputs for the supplies and equipment that are needed?
- Will the government be prioritizing the production of supplies and goods to meet the needs of Canadians?
“The health and safety of all Canadians remains the top priority. We will continue to monitor this evolving situation closely and press the government for clear answers.”